1.5
Privacy and Data Security
Usability

Last year when I called customer service to cancel my service with them, they gave me a great deal to stay for the year with them. Well in December they billed me for a month.

I called them and they told me they couldn't do anything for me on that. I cancelled my card that they charged it to and got a new one. I don't know how they got the new card number but they charged me for a year of hosting. I call them and they say that I called them and authorized it to take place and gave them the new number.

Well my cards were locked in my safe deposit box because I was out of the state for 6 months getting cancer treatment. I know dam* well that I did not give it to them while I was gone, the charge took place three months ago. I have not memorized my card number so I know I didn't call during one of my chemo stupors.

They told me that if they have a card on file that they can charge when they want to and there is nothing that I can do about it. Worst customer service I have ever experienced.

Review about: Hostgator Web Hosting.

Reason of review: Problems with payment.

I didn't like: Customer service.

Comments

ThriftyOrangutan

It's interesting to see that I'm not alone in wondering how they got my billing information. I didn't explicitly bring this up in my review, but this one makes me think I should have.

I'm fairly sure I didn't give HostGator my credit card information when I signed up. I used PayPal auto-billing.

But my card is linked to PayPal, and I wonder if they were somehow able to dispute my auto-billing cancellation and gain access to my card information without my knowledge. There's surely something fishy going on.